Another post for all Chicken Lovers...its healthy,protein packed and full of vitamins and minerals. Yes...Just one dish and so many benefits right..Hariyali Chicken Fry/Kakab/Tikka.
These days I am trying many recipes with vegetables and some with combination of vegetables along with protein. This dish is wonderful as its Grilled chicken ,so very less or no use of butter/ghee/oil and plus one dish will give you all variety of benefits-you will have chicken and goodness of spinach and Fenugreek.
Yes for people like me or my family who stays mostly away from vegetables and fruits,I have started to include vegetables in my family's diet by including it along with variety of proteins.
My kids run far away from food if I prepare vegetables or try to include something healthy in their diet. They are fast food-fried food lovers. So recently I have started to feed them vegetables by including combination of vegetable with Eggs,Chicken,Fish/seafood. That way they do not realize or make much fuss but still make faces looking at colored food. :)
So when I made this dish they were happy that they will have chicken but when I got chicken on the table everyone made faces looking at green color. They love the feeling of colored food as most Indian restaurant serve colored food to make it more appealing for customers.
One of their favorite dishes are Butter Chicken and Chicken Tandoori. Check my recipe of Tandoori Chicken and Butter Chicken too. Apart from this the Hyderabadi Biryani is our mostly Friday special. They know when its Friday mostly I will make Biryani. Check that recipe too.
So here my daughter asked me multiple questions before putting one piece in her mouth about how did I think of making this dish,what made chicken "Green", what made me combine veggies to make this dish and so on! Finally,after convincing her that its equally yummy and healthy, she attempted to have it and she loved it! Yes she did!
Here just for serving kids I added a dollop of butter on chicken pieces for them,as adding butter would make it even more tastier for her. So you can take a call whether to add butter / ghee to chicken pieces while grilling or skip it.
Hariyali Chicken (Oven Grilled)Prasanna Hede
- 1 Cup, Spinach,washed and chopped
- 1/2 Cup,Methi/Fenugreek Leaves,washed and chopped
- 5 Sprigs,Cilantro
- 4 No,Garlic, cloves
- 1" Piece,Ginger
- 1 No,Onion(small size) (or 1/2 of Big Onion)
- 400 Gms, Chicken,skinless
- As per Need,Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon,Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon,Red Chili Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon,Kasoori Methi / Dried Fenugreek Leaves
- 1 Tablespoon,Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Teaspoon,Garam Masala Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon,Kitchen King Masala Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon,Coriander Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon , Cumin Powder
- 1/4th Cup,Cream
- 2 Tablespoon ,Unsalted Butter,softened (optional)
- 1/4th Teaspoon,White Sugar
- Firstly,wash the chicken pieces and keep aside.
In a mixer grinder,grind to a very thick paste Spinach,Fenugreek leaves,ginger,garlic,cilantro and onion.
- Grind these with very minimum water.
Apply this paste along with rest of the mentioned ingredients to chicken pieces and let the chicken sit in refrigerator for atleast an hour.
- Preheat oven at 350 F or 180C .
- On a non-stick grilling pan/oven safe pan,place all the chicken pieces along with marinade and grill for 20-25 mins or till cooked well.
Turn the pieces upside down after 15 mins for even cooking.
- If you do not want butter then skip it from the recipe.
If you are using a grilling pan for stove top,then cook till chicken is cooked well.
- Serve hot with chutney/dip of your choice.
This goes well with steamed rice too.
Prep Time: 01:00:00 mins.
- Choice of adding Butter / Ghee to this recipe is optional.
- Turn the chicken pieces upside down inbetween the cook time.
- The oven timings vary so if you are using convection oven / conventional oven/cooking range/stove top adjust the cook times accordingly.
- Add more spices accordingly as per choice.