A new post....spicy, tangy and sweet Sev Usal!
Recently I tried Sev Usal ,which was very spicy and tangy and just perfect to make you fall in love with it.
They had used lot of chutneys too as add-on's for the usal...like sweet chutney,green chili chutney plus some more like sweet dahi,which were 'OK' to go with this usal but adding them made the usal taste more like a chaat than usal for me.
I had heard from a friend that famous sev usal in India is from Vadodara. I have not tasted it though but will definitely try it whenever I will get a chance and share that recipe too!
I love to try variety of usal/misal for breakfast,as they are easy to make plus healthy and will give you a feel of not missing the street food which we all crave for!
I had previously shared few recipe's of usal/misal.
Also have this with Pav/Bread...Try my recipe of Goan Pav which goes very well with this dish.
I am sharing this recipe of sev usal which is a simplified version of the usal I tasted,which is super easy to make,as its a pressure cooker recipe so no-hassles and/or roasting masala/grinding issues and yummy to have!
Try this :)
Try this :)
- For Usal:
- 1/2 Cup White Peas(Dried)/Vatane
- 4 Tablespoons Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 Teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 Teaspoon Asafoetida
- 1 Small Onion,finely chopped
- 1 Small Tomato, finely chopped
- Salt as per need
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cumin Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chili Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Usal /Misal/Sev Bhaji/Powder of(Fennel seeds,cloves,cinnamon stick) Powder
- Gooseberry Size Jaggery
- 4 Tablespoons Tamarind Pulp
- For Garnish:
- A small Bowl full Thick Sev/Ganthiya Sev
- 1 Medium Onion Chopped
- 1 Medium Tomato Chopped
- 2 Sprigs Cilantro Chopped
First,wash and soak the peas overnight.
Next day,in the pressure cooker,add oil.
When its hot,add mustard seeds,cumin seeds,asafoetida.
When it splutters,add onion and tomato.
Add salt and all powders mentioned.
Add tamarind pulp and jaggery.
Add little water and pressure cook for 10- 15 minutes on medium flame or till done.
For serving,in a bowl,add the vatana usal,add chopped onion,tomato,lots of sev/ganthiya and cilantro.
Enjoy with Pav.
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 4 Servings
- Adjust the spices as per your tolerance level.
- Some varieties of sev bhaji includes adding ragda to this. You can try that also.
- If you do not have Usal/Misal/Sev Bhaji masala then simply powder some Fennel seeds,cinnamon and cloves and add. It will be tasty too.