A new post again and here I am sharing one of my most dear recipe...Homemade Mango Jam!
Mango season is back and we all are going to enjoy the delicious Mango varieties till they vanish. I also puree Mangoes and freeze them.
This works to be very handy,as anytime I feel like having any recipe with Mango then I can just thaw the puree for a while and use it in my food.
Usually my mom makes Mango Jam of a certain variety of Mangoes which are available in Goa, the local name of those Mango variety is "Mussarad", which is very famous to make Jam/Halwa.
The best part of this Jam is that it remains for a very long period -fresh and delicious if refrigerated well. For this you have to make sure that you do not add water to the recipe.
I did not use Mussarad Mango in this recipe. I used some local Mango available to me also the Mangoes which I got were very ripe and beautiful from outside but more of sour than on sweet side.
So to make a balance of sweet and sour taste I used 1/2 Cup sugar for just 1 Mango.
If you use Mango of more sweet variety then sugar has to be reduced or adjusted as per your choice.
You have to notice here that I have used only 1 large Mango, so keeping that in mind adjust your recipe. The total amount of puree which I got from this Mango was 1 &1/3rd Cup.
Adding lemon and cardamom is optional but I would suggest go ahead and try it.
Lemon will enhance the taste of Jam and make it very tasty also Cardamom gives a lovely fragrance and taste too.
I enjoy licking the spoon after filling the jar just to eat whatever Jam is stuck to Pan and spoon, which I could not store in Jar 😋.
This works so well for breakfast and even for light snack - apply on Graham Cracker/Cream Cracker/ Ritz / Monaco cookies and enjoy with a sip of Tea.
So try this recipe and enjoy!
Serves: 4 Prep Time: 7 Mins Cook Time:25Mins
1 Cup=250 ml
- 1 No,Large Mango,chopped and Pureed(1 & 1/3rd Cup Puree)
- 1 Teaspoon,Lime Juice
- 2 Teaspoon,Ghee / Clarified Butter
- 1/2 Cup,Powdered White Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon, Cardamom Powder
- Firstly,wash,peel and chop the Mango.
- Puree it in a mixer grinder.
- Do not add water or milk to puree the Mango.
- In a wide ceramic/ nonstick pan,add the mango puree.
- On medium heat let it cook.
- Once it starts to bubble,lower the flame a bit and add lime juice,sugar and ghee.
- Mix well and keep stirring.
- Here stirring has to be continuous or the mango pure might burn or stick to pan.
- Make sure you do not boil it at high flame.
- After 15 Mins,the Jam will start to thicken.
- Now watch the jam carefully and make sure it does not stick to pan.Keep stirring.
- Adjust sugar level as per the Mango sweetness.
- Switch off the flame once its thickened.
- Add the cardamom powder.
- Mix well and let it cool completely.
- Once cooled,store in a airtight / sterilized Glass Jar and refrigerate.
- Enjoy the jam with bread/chapati or roti!
- I used 1 Large Mango for this recipe. It yielded me approximately 1 & 1/3rd Cup Puree.
- I did not add water or milk to puree it.
- Adjust the sugar level accordingly.
- You have to continuously stir the jam so that it wont burn.
- Adding lime juice gives a nice sour bit to the Jam along with sweet.
- Switch off the gas when the Jam has started to come together.
- You can make it very thick by cooking it more or switch it off and keep it soft and spreadable on bread or chapati.
- This can store up-to a month or more if refrigerated.
- If you like to strain the puree before using in Jam then you can do that to separate the fibers. I do not separate the fiber part.
Goa Mussarad Goa Special Homemade Jam Mango Halwa Mango Jam Mango Recipe No-preservatives Quick and Easy recipe vegetarian